United States Secretary of Defense, Pete Hegseth, ordered additional forces to the Middle East, including the Carl Vinson aircraft attack group and aircraft, amid US commitment to intensify the attacks against Iran’s Humuthi rebels. The measure occurs at a time of tehon tension due to the Iranian nuclear program.
Carl Vinson aircraft carrier is scheduled to reach the region after completing Indo-Pacific exercises. In addition, the Defense Department decided to extend the permanence of the Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier attack group in the area, as a statement from Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell on Tuesday. The simultaneous presence of two aircraft carriers in the region repeats a demonstration of strength by the Biden Administration in the previous year.
“Secretary Hegseth continues to emphasize that if Iran or their allies threaten the staff or US interests in the region, the United States will take decisive measures to protect our people,” Parnell said.
In response, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Monday that any US or Israel attack will be retaliated with “a firm and decisive response.” The statement came after President Donald Trump threatens bombing Iran if the country does not sign a deal waiving nuclear weapons.
The tensions between Tehran and Washington have intensified. Last week, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araye said there will be no direct negotiations with the US while Trump administration maintains its “military threats.” In an interview with NBC News last weekend, Trump stressed: “If they do not agree, there will be bombing.”
These movements occur in parallel to US attacks against Iran’s hornhthi rebels in Yemen, which, according to Trump, were “decimated.” The Houthi began attacking commercial ships in the Red Sea at the end of 2023, alleging support for the Palestinians after the conflict between Israel and Hamas Eclodir in Gaza.
Continues after advertising
© 2025 Bloomberg L.P.