Number 1 in the ATP ranking and suspended for three months of the circuit because of doping, Italian Jannik Sinner, 23, said he considered his unfair punishment. He also said he chose to agree with Wada (World Anti -Doping Agency) to avoid a greater evil -or that is, a longer suspension.
“You have to choose the smaller evil and I believe this is what I did, even if sometimes it seems a little unfair everything I’m living. But it could have been worse. Even more injustice,” he told Sky Sports Italia. This is the first time the tennis player talks after the suspension.
Sinner tested positive twice last year for Closball, Anabolic Substance and Forbidden Antibiotics. At the time, he said he had done nothing wrong, that contact with the substance would have been an accident, with his physical therapist, and that the substance would not bring him sports advantages.
He was acquitted by the arbitral court of the sport, but Wada resorted.
Sinner has been suspended since February 9, shortly after being champion of the Australian Open. The final was against the German Alexander Zverev. He will be able to play from May 4th, and his return to competitions should be at the Open of Rome in his home country.
Even without playing important tournaments, such as Indian Wells and Miami’s open, Sinner remained at the top of the ranking and lost no points.
“It took me a while to find me, but I’m still here. I still have a little time to digest it all, but I can’t wait to return to Rome,” said the Italian.
Sinner will not lose any Grand Slam (the four most important tournaments of the Circuit-Australia, Roland-Garros, Wimbledon and the US). The next to be played is Roland-Garros, which begins in late May.
This has generated criticism from other tennis players, such as Australian Nick Kyrgios, who see punishment, and his timing, such as mild and favorable to the Italian, who has already won three Grand Slams in his career (Australia Open in 2024 and 2025 and Open of the United States of 2024).