Venezuela leader Nicolás Maduro thanked the president of Colombia, Gustavo Pedro, for the military mobilization on the border between the countries. Maduro stated that the two countries are coordinated by the binational zone in “the sake of sovereignty, peace and prosperity.”
Colombia announced earlier that it had reinforced security in the Catatumbo region to work against criminal groups on site.
“We watch over our land, take care of her and preserve her, Venezuelans and Colombians united for peace, prosperity and sovereignty,” said the chairful leader.
The Catatumbo region of Colombia has been the scene of violence in recent weeks, leaving tens of dead and thousands of homeless. The government of Petro attributed the situation to clashes between the National Liberation Army Guerrilla (ELN) and other armed groups.
On Wednesday (27), Venezuela moved to combat armed groups. According to Caracas, the operation will feature drones, naval patrols, helicopters and an intelligence structure to coordinate efforts.
Tension between Washington and Caracas
Venezuela leader also highlighted the recent tension with the US after the White House sent war ships to the Caribbean region.
Maduro called the pressure “psychological war” and said Caracas is prepared to defend peace.
“Today I can say that after 20 continuous days of ads, threats, psychological war, after 20 days of siege to the Venezuelan nation, today we are stronger than yesterday, today we are better prepared to defend peace, sovereignty and territorial integrity than yesterday, much more,” said the Venezuelan leader.