President Donald Trump spoke with Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro last week and the two discussed a possible meeting, according to the New York Times, as the US increases pressure on Caracas ahead of possible military strikes.
The leaders have not yet made plans for such a meeting, the Times reported Friday, adding that U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio participated in the call with the two presidents. The newspaper cited several people familiar with the matter.
The call comes as the US, in recent months, has been intensifying pressure on Venezuela, part of an anti-narcotics operation that targets drug trafficking and which, according to the Trump administration, is led by the Maduro regime. This campaign led the US to reinforce its military presence in the region, including an aircraft carrier and warships, and senior US military officials to meet with leaders in the Caribbean.
Continues after advertising
US forces have been carrying out attacks against vessels allegedly used in drug trafficking, but Trump has also threatened to expand these attacks to hit targets in Venezuelan territory.
“On land it’s easier, but that’s going to start very soon,” Trump said Thursday night.
The Trump administration also recently designated Venezuela’s Cartel of the Suns as a foreign terrorist organization. The US claims the group is operated by senior military officers and led by Maduro himself.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the designation as a terrorist organization gives Washington “a lot of new options” regarding Venezuela, although he declined to specify what actions his department could take.
Trump has long portrayed Maduro as an illegitimate leader and sought to isolate and remove him from power — but the call offers the government a possible exit route before any direct military escalation. Trump had previously said he could talk to Maduro, even as he intensified pressure.

