Secretary of State Marco Rubio, one of Maduro’s biggest critics within the American government, also participated in the call
The president of, , spoke by telephone with the president of, , last weekend, as published this Friday (28).
Sources interviewed by the newspaper stated that the conversation discussed the possibility of a meeting in the USA, but, for now, there is no meeting scheduled. The Secretary of State, one of Maduro’s biggest critics within the American government, also participated in the call. Details of the dialogue were not disclosed.
The call came days before the State Department placed the Cartel de los Soles on the list of foreign terrorist organizations. Washington accuses Maduro of leading the group.
Trump had indicated openness to resuming dialogue, while Maduro had already said he was willing to have a “face-to-face” meeting.
Since August, the US has maintained a strong military presence in the Caribbean, close to the Venezuelan coast. According to the American government, more than 20 vessels used in international trafficking were destroyed, resulting in at least 83 deaths.
A claims that the operation targets drug trafficking, but American officials said, on condition of anonymity, that the ultimate goal would be to pressure Maduro’s departure.
On Thursday (27), Trump stated that the US should “soon” begin a ground offensive against drug trafficking in Venezuela. The country’s press had already reported that he analyzed different military alternatives for Venezuelan territory.
