The governor (Novo) published a video last Saturday (29) in which he appears bursting fireworks at his residence in Belo Horizonte to celebrate the defeat of a legal case against him.
A municipal law from 2022, however, prohibits the burning of fireworks and fireworks in the capital of Minas Gerais, as well as other pyrotechnic devices with noisy sound effects.
When contacted, the Government of Minas forwarded the governor’s comment in the post in which he states that the noise of the fireworks had been added when editing the video.
In the footage, in an ironic tone, the governor says he is “very saddened by the news” that the PT lost the case against him and then lights fireworks.
The municipal law, regulated in 2023, provides for a fine of R$100 for anyone who fails to comply with the rule, and the amount may increase in the event of a repeat offense. BH City Hall was asked whether the governor had been sanctioned, but did not respond.
The legal action by the president’s party wanted Zema to delete publications on his networks in which he claims that the PT “stole money from retirees”, in reference to investigations into the (National Social Security Institute).
The judge of the 13th Civil Court of Brasília Vanessa Maria Trevisan denied the PT’s request and stated that the criticism was a manifestation of the governor’s opinion.
He also said that “in situations of relevant public interest” the protection of freedom of expression must be the rule, as long as limits are not exceeded.
Pre-candidate for next year’s presidential elections, Zema and President Lula in recent months have attempted to reinforce the image of an antagonist to the president.
In addition to investigations at the INSS, the governor’s criticism of the federal government’s security policy and the management of his predecessor in the state government, Fernando Pimentel (PT), is also a frequent target.
