
But even then, electronic communication was “just one sentence”. The information circulation system in the General Staff has suffered profound degradation and “is not working”.
Poland was caught off guard by the United States’ decision to cancel a planned rotation of more than 4000 US military personnel to Polish territory, despite the warning reaching the top of the Polish Armed Forces several days before the news was publicly known.
According to three sources close to the Chief of the General Staff of the Polish Armed Forces, General Wiesław Kukuła, the information was sent through classified military channels at the beginning of the week, but remained retained in email confidential to the general himself, according to the .
The US decision became public on Wednesday when it was reported by Army Times and then other US media outlets. Reports indicated that the Pentagon had suspended the move to Poland of an armored brigade stationed in Texas. Only after media coverage did US military representatives confirm the change, without justifying the concrete reasons for the measure.
The Pentagon rejected the idea that the decision was sudden or impromptu. Acting spokesman Joel Valdez said the withdrawal was the result of a “comprehensive, multi-level process” involving U.S. military officials in Europe and the chain of command.
In Warsaw, information management caused discomfort. On Wednesday evening, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz sought to reassure public opinion on social media, assuring that the suspension of the rotation did not mean a reduction in the total number of US troops in Poland. The following day, he claimed to have spoken with US General Alexus Grynkewich, commander of US forces in Europe and NATO’s supreme allied commander in Europe, who assured him that the measure does not equate to a permanent decrease in the US military presence in the country.
According to the three sources cited by the newspaper specializing in European affairs, the North American message arrived on Monday or Tuesday through a classified system used for communications between allies. The communication would have been short, without explanations or justificationand sent through routine military channels. One of the sources described her as “a one-sentence message”. Another stated that the General Staff only informed the commands on Wednesday, after the news had already circulated in the press.
General Staff spokesman Colonel Marek Pietrzak denied that the information had been received on Monday. General Kukuła has not publicly commented on the case and was not present at the press conference where Kosiniak-Kamysz addressed the issue.
Former Polish military officials believe that the problem reveals worrying institutional weaknesses. Retired General Mieczysław Cieniuch, chief of the General Staff between 2010 and 2013, stated that information of this type should have been classified as very important and urgently transmitted to the Minister of Defense, as it had not only military but also political implications. Retired general Jarosław Gromadziński said that the The General Staff’s information circulation system has suffered profound degradation and is “not working”.
Remember that the United States is the Poland’s main military allya country that has strengthened its strategic position on NATO’s eastern flank since the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Despite official assurances that there will be no permanent reduction in the American presence, one of the sources close to the General Staff stated that the Polish military has received indications that the US presence could, in fact, decrease.
