Secret Service agents exchanged fire with a man who opened fire near the White House this Saturday, the 23rd. The shooter, identified early in the morning by The New York Times as Nasire Best, died and a pedestrian was also injured by the bullets. None of the officers were injured during the incident.
United States President Donald Trump, who was in the White House, was also not injured.
The incident is still under investigation by US authorities. It is the fourth armed threat suffered by Trump in less than two years.
In the main one, during the 2024 campaign, he survived two assassination attempts. In July of that year, a bullet grazed his ear while he was speaking in Butler, Pennsylvania.
What happened this Saturday at the White House?
In the late afternoon of this Saturday, the 23rd, around 6 pm (local time; 7 pm, Brasília time), a man who was around the White House took out a gun from his backpack and shot at Secret Service officers. They responded, starting a shootout.
A pedestrian was hit – it is not yet known by whom. There is no official information about his health status, but an agent told CNN that it is “critical”. The shooter, also shot, was taken to the hospital. He died.
Continues after advertising
A New York Times photographer who was at the White House said she heard somewhere between 20 and 30 gunshots.
READ MORE:
And then?
Due to the exchange of gunfire, the White House activated the lockdown protocol, which lasted around 40 minutes, according to the American press. During lockdown, the White House is isolated to protect the president and other employees. The entry and exit of people is controlled until the situation normalizes. Police officers cordoned off the scene of the incident to gather evidence. New information should be revealed this Sunday.
Was Trump in the White House?
Yes, the President of the United States was in the White House at the time of the exchange of fire.
Who was the shooter?
Authorities told Reuters that the man who opened fire on police was an “emotionally disturbed” person and that a protective order had previously been issued against him. The New York Times later said the shooter was identified by two police officers involved in the investigation as Nasire Best.