Filipe Amorim / Lusa
President of the incarnates and Reinaldo Teixeira, candidate for the leadership of the League, had a business relationship and were involved in the sale of 49 houses in the Algarve between 2006 and 2016, worth more than 6 million euros.
The elections for the presidency of the Portuguese League are creating a war between the presidents of FC Porto and SL Benfica. All because of a real estate business between Rui Costa and Reinaldo TeixeiraCurrent coordinator of League Delegates and candidate for leadership of the body.
The two were involved in the sale of 49 Houses in the Algarve between 2006 and 2016, in the amount of more than 6 million eurosadvances, and André Villas-Boas considers that the business is a “Conflict of unacceptable interest” which raises doubts about the candidate’s “suitability” in the context of the functions he has performed since 2015 in the League.
The relationship between the two will go back to 2004, when they still maintained joint business activity through the companies Garvetur, belonging to Reinaldo Teixeira, and 10 Invest, associated with Rui Costa.
The first joint venture was the “Costa de Cabanas”, located in the municipality of Tavira. Later, in 2005, a new partnership was established for the development of “Benagil Villas”, a luxury real estate project next to Carvoeiro Beach, in Lagoa. With V2 typology villas, the venture offered high quality finishes, terraces, gardens, pools and private park. The commercialization took place between 2006 and 2016, with the sale of such 49 houses.
The last unit was sold in 2016, the year Reinaldo Teixeira already performed duties as coordinator of the league delegates and evaluators – and Rui Costa was already administrator of Benfica’s SAD.
In response to the accusations of the blues and whites, the Benfica accuses FC Porto of changing his opinion: Says Villas-Boas had already shown “in various meetings and conversations”, supporting Reinaldo Teixeira. “We got to know that the word little or nothing is worth the president of FC Porto”the incarnates advanced, criticizing that with “manifest bad faithif you try to question the integrity of people and institutions. ”Benfica says that the commercial business was” totally legitimate and transparent celebrated 20 years ago. “
The dragons now want to know if Reinaldo Teixeira “is or has been in a situation of incompatibility and/or conflict of interest in the context of their activity as coordinator of the Portugal League delegates” and asks the League to “speak urgently”, reads in a second statement of the Portistas, but the organism should not do it for now, according to.
“FC Porto subscribed to a single candidacy” and “did not issue any judgment about the legitimacy of business,” the dragons clarify.
Reinaldo Teixeira also defended himself publicly: “I have several business activities… I did nothing that consciously check out incompatibility. I work within the principles and values for which life should be conducted, ”said the candidate on Wednesday. And he says that the deal“ was started in 2004 and formalized in 2006, when Rui Costa was still a soccer player ”.
The candidate filed a candidacy supported by 17 sports companies, claiming that he had, at an early stage, the support of the three major clubs and SP. Braga. However, FC Porto and Braga eventually removed their support. Reinaldo said that the president of the FPF, Pedro Proença, will only support him institutionally, if he is elected.