Tehran’s latest peace proposal to the United States involves an end to hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the withdrawal of American forces from areas close to Iran and reparations for the damage caused by the war, Iranian state media reported on Tuesday (19).
In his first comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran also sought an end to sanctions, the release of frozen funds and the country, according to the IRNA news agency.
The terms outlined in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran’s previous offer, which .
Trump said on Monday (18) that after Tehran sent a new peace proposal to Washington, there was now a “very good chance” of reaching an agreement that would limit Iran’s nuclear program.
Reuters was unable to determine whether preparations had been made for attacks that would mark a resumption of the war started by Trump in late February.
Pressured to reach one – a key supply route for the global supply of oil and other commodities – Trump had previously expressed hope that a deal was close to end the conflict and similarly threatened heavy attacks on Iran if Tehran did not reach a deal.
In a social media post, Trump said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had asked him to delay the attack because “it will be very acceptable to the United States of America as well as all countries in the Middle East and elsewhere.”
Speaking to the press on Monday (18), he stated that the United States would be satisfied if they succeeded.
“There seems to be a good chance that they can come to an agreement. If we can do that without bombing them mercilessly, I’ll be very happy,” Trump told reporters.
A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has been relaying messages between the parties since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, .
Teams “keep changing their rules of the game,” the Pakistani source said, adding: “We don’t have much time.”
While neither party has publicly disclosed any concessions in talks that have been stalled for a month, a senior Iranian official suggested on Monday that Washington may be softening some of its demands.
The source said the US agreed to release a quarter of frozen Iranian funds — totaling tens of billions of dollars — held in foreign banks. Iran demands the release of all assets.
And the source said Washington demonstrated greater flexibility by agreeing to allow Iran to continue some peaceful nuclear activities under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The United States has not confirmed having reached an agreement on any point in the negotiations.
An American official, speaking on condition of anonymity, denied a report by the Iranian Tasnim news agency that negotiations were ongoing.
Joint US-Israeli bombings killed thousands of people in Iran before being lifted by a ceasefire in early April.
Israel has killed thousands of people and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes. Iranian attacks against Israel and neighboring Persian Gulf countries have already caused dozens of deaths.
The ceasefire with Iran has largely held, although drones have recently been launched from Iraq toward Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, apparently by Iran and its allies.
said they started the war to curb Iran’s support for regional militias, dismantle its nuclear program, destroy its missile production capacity and create conditions for Iranians to overthrow their rulers.
But the war has not yet deprived Iran of its nearly ready-to-use weapons, nor of its ability to threaten neighboring countries with missiles, drones and allied militias.
The Islamic Republic’s clerical leadership, which faced a popular uprising earlier this year, resisted the superpower’s onslaught without showing any sign of organized opposition.