Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman on Thursday (21) denied rumors of a diplomatic breakthrough with the United States, according to Iranian state media.
Esmaeil Baghaei declared that “allegations about nuclear issues — such as enrichment levels — are mere media speculation and have no basis in reality,” he said, according to the official Iranian news agency IRNA.
Previously, Reuters reported that Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei issued an order that the country’s stockpile of enriched uranium, which is close to nuclear weapons production grade, not be sent abroad.
Reuters said the information was passed on by two high-ranking Iranian sources, who were not identified. A US official, in turn, commented that no such order was communicated to the White House.
“None of the rumors circulating in recent days about various aspects of the negotiations are credible or confirmable,” Baghaei highlighted.
“At this time, negotiations are focused exclusively on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,” the spokesperson added.
Iran’s Foreign Minister, , reinforced this statement this Thursday. “Don’t listen to rumors about the end of the war. We will announce it officially,” he told state broadcaster Irib.
Earlier this week, the US president said he had suspended planned attacks against Iran, following a request from Arab nations in the Persian Gulf.
Trump claimed the need to give more time to diplomatic efforts.
However, these efforts have frustrated Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who advocates a more aggressive stance toward Iran.