Tarcísio withdraws from the MTST project and asks Caixa for R$37 million – 05/20/2026 – Panel

The management (Republicans) asked for the return of R$37.6 million to Caixa Econômica Federal that had been allocated to the public bank for the construction of a project in partnership with the Lula government and the (Homeless Workers Movement).

This is Copa do Povo, a residential complex with 2,650 homes that is part of the Minha Casa Minha Vida program in Itaquera, east of .

The , was a kind of kickoff in ()’s pre-campaign for São Paulo City Hall. The current minister of the General Secretariat of the Presidency was the national coordinator of the movement.

The case is yet another example of the dispute between the Lula government, who is seeking re-election, and Tarcísio, who supports the candidacy of Flávio Bolsonaro (PL).

However, the expected completion of the works in 24 months did not materialize. The execution status of one of the two batches today is 76%, and the other is only 6%.

The Tarcísio management had invested, in January 2024, R$53 million for the construction and says that, following the slow progress of the works, it requested the return of part not yet executed, receiving R$37.6 million from Caixa.

Tarcísio committed to recovering the same amount if MTST resolves the impasse with the construction company. If the project does not get off the ground, the movement will have to pay R$2 million to the government.

“We do not look at the entity’s political alignment. The Caixa Econômica Federal financing ceiling for Minha Casa Minha Vida is not enough to make these homes viable, and we [governo estadual] We work collaboratively to make projects viable and serve families in need”, says São Paulo’s Housing Secretary, Marcelo Branco.

The secretary also says that, during the inauguration of the Copa do Povo works, in December 2023, Lula did not invite any authorities from São Paulo.

Branco says that, on the day of the ceremony, Lula took the stage accompanied by Fernando Haddad (PT) and Boulos, while the governor’s team was in São Sebastião monitoring the works to assist families left homeless by the rains.

“It was the first time that President Lula questioned the absence of the governor and team at an event organized by the Presidency of the Republic. However, today we see that such an undertaking never got off the ground. In the same way that we maintained our commitment to this contribution, we demand that the State’s public resources be used responsibly.”

Despite the impasse with the People’s Cup, the Tarcísio administration signed, this Wednesday (20), a contribution of R$27 million to the MTST to enable the construction of 1,308 units.

When contacted by the column this Wednesday, the General Secretariat of the Presidency, MTST and Caixa did not respond until the publication of this text.


LINK PRESENT: Did you like this text? Subscribers can access seven free accesses from any link per day. Just click the blue F below.

source