The former minister and pre-candidate for federal deputy José Dirceu (PT-SP) was discharged from the hospital on the afternoon of this Tuesday, the 19th. He had been admitted to the Sírio-Libanês hospital, in São Paulo, since the 10th, for tests that showed the diagnosis of lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system) in the duodenum.
According to the latest medical bulletin released by the hospital, Dirceu “completed his first cycle of chemotherapy treatment, without complications and remains in good general condition”. The former minister also shared a photo on his social networks stating that he was already going home.
Last Friday, the 15th, the hospital reported that Dirceu was in good clinical condition, but would need to be hospitalized to begin treatment for the disease. The PT member was treated by doctors Raul Cutait, Roberto Kalil and Celso Arrais.
Despite hospitalization and treatment, Dirceu is willing to maintain his campaign for federal deputy. “We are going to fight to beat lymphoma and re-elect Lula, fighting on two fronts: in the campaign and in chemotherapy”, he told Estadão.
Son of José Dirceu, federal deputy Zeca Dirceu stated that, “from the symptoms, to the diagnosis, he (Dirceu) never hesitated: he decided to continue with the pre-campaign for federal deputy for São Paulo”.
“He will undergo chemotherapy and will be cured once again!”, said Zeca Dirceu.
Continues after advertising
To friends, Dirceu said he had been suspicious since January, when he felt the first symptoms, but thought it was nothing. He also stated that he will start chemotherapy at the weekend and that he will maintain the campaign which, according to him, will have to be “completely different”. He intends to do lives, and bet on the virtual. Regarding the disease, he said “he will overcome this one”. The PT member also said that he has already inserted the catheter to start chemotherapy, that the lymphoma is curable and that he is very calm.
When contacted, Dirceu’s advisor confirmed that he will record a video to maintain the campaign for the Chamber of Deputies.
At the end of March, the former minister celebrated his 80th birthday in a restaurant on Lago Sul in Brasília, when he called on the PT to go to the polls to elect Lula. Ministers from the Lula government and parliamentarians from various parties, from the left, right and center, participated in the event.
Impeached in 2005 by the Chamber in the Mensalão scandal – for which he would later be convicted and arrested – Dirceu decided to run again for a seat in the Legislative House. At the 80th birthday party, a campaign jingle was even presented.
See the note from Zeca Dirceu, son of José Dirceu:
“My father has cancer, lymphoma in the duodenum. José Dirceu de Oliveira e Silva, our Zé warrior of the Brazilian people, is not one to bend. He has already faced and won the dictatorship, four elections as deputy, kidney cancer in 2020, head surgery in 2024 and three unjust arrests without evidence.
Continues after advertising
I talked to him a lot these last few days. From the symptoms to the diagnosis, he never hesitated: he decided to continue with the pre-campaign for federal deputy for São Paulo. You will undergo chemotherapy and be cured once again!
I ask for everyone’s prayers, I ask the comrades of São Paulo to dedicate themselves to helping him even more in the pre-campaign, which will now be largely online.
It is worth remembering that Lula and Dilma had cancer and were cured.
Continues after advertising
Our family continues with confidence in my father’s strength, but mainly in faith in God who has a great purpose in the life of this man who has already done a lot for Brazil and needs to continue fulfilling his mission.
Zeca Dirceu”