White House posts video showing Trump throwing presenter in the trash

The official profile of the White House on the social network

The video was also published on Truth Social, on the American president’s official profile.

The post, which has no description, comes one day after the end of the Late Showprogram of CBS hosted by Colbert. The announcement of the program’s cancellation was made by the broadcaster last year, which cited financial reasons.

Earlier this Friday, Trump had celebrated the end of the program, stating that the presenter’s “firing” was the “beginning of the end”.

“Stephen Colbert’s firing from CBS was the ‘Beginning of the End’ for untalented, obnoxious, overpaid, unfunny, low-rated late-night talk show hosts,” the US president wrote in Truth Social.

“Others, with even less talent, will soon follow suit. May they all rest in peace!” Trump added.

Colbert, one of Trump’s most vocal critics on television, hosted the ratings-leading show for 11 seasons. He took over from founding host David Letterman in 2015.

Pressure on broadcasters

Trump has repeatedly pressured the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to revoke broadcasters’ licenses, asked Walt Disney to fire ABC late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel and asked Comcast’s NBC to fire host Seth Meyers.

Democratic FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez said on Wednesday (20) that Trump has been outspoken about trying to take programs he doesn’t like off the air.

“This administration does not tolerate any criticism, whether on late-night comedy shows or ‘The View,'” Gomez said.

“They are using every regulatory tool at their disposal to attack content,” he added.

Cancellation announcement

A , just days after the parent company agreed to pay $16 million in a lawsuit filed by Trump against the company over the editing of a “60 Minutes” interview with then-Vice President Kamala Harris.

Days later, the FCC approved Paramount’s merger with Skydance for $8 billion. The decision to end the top-rated late-night talk show sparked an outcry from Democrats and other critics, who noted that Paramount was seeking approval for its merger with Skydance at the time of the cancellation.

Many critics suggested that it was done to please the government and considered it a ploy to silence political satire, violating the protection of free speech guaranteed by the First Amendment.

(With information from Reuters and CNN)

source