An unfinished nine-story concrete building collapsed: Dozens of people could be trapped under the debris

A building under construction in the Philippine city of Angeles City collapsed on Sunday morning, and authorities there believe that 30 to 40 people may have been trapped under the debris. TASR informs about it according to the reports of the Reuters and AFP agencies. City officials received word at approximately 3:00 a.m. local time (9:00 p.m. CEST) that an unfinished nine-story concrete building had collapsed. An employee of the city’s communications department said the building’s walls and scaffolding collapsed, trapping between 30 and 40 people.

So far, eight people have been rescued and another 11 managed to escape from the scene of the accident. “There are large pieces of concrete and we need special equipment to remove them. This is currently the biggest challenge in rescue work,” the worker explained, stressing that it is currently “too early to determine the cause of the collapse.”

“An electrical line was hit and is being repaired. We urge residents in the area to cooperate with the authorities so that they do not delay rescue operations… and that no one else is put at risk,” he said.

source