The United States Secret Service evacuated the northern area of the White House this Saturday afternoon after several shots were heard in the vicinity of the presidential complex, where at least one person was injured, according to journalists present at the scene. The American press has reported the death of the shooter after an episode of crossfire with law enforcement.
“Shortly after 6:00 p.m. (local time) on Saturday, an individual in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a gun from his bag and began shooting. Secret Service police returned fire, wounding the suspect, who was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead,” the US Secret Service revealed in a statement shared on social media.
The same writing confirms that “A passerby was also injured by the gunshots”which, however, have not reached any agent. The incident remains under investigation and additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Previously, journalists from outlets such as ABC News or NBC News reported around shortly after 6:00 p.m. (local time), apparently coming from the area near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, located next to the presidential headquarters. Moments later, police sources told CBS News that there had been between 15 and 30 shots.
At first, two people familiar with the investigation cited by the US network reported that the suspect had opened fire on a security booth occupied by United States Secret Service agents, who returned fire.
After the incident, agents quickly moved members of the press who were outside inside the White House and told them to go to the complex’s press room.
Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi has told the media that the agency is aware of “reports of shots fired near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW” and that agents They are “working to corroborate the information with personnel on the ground.”
As indicated before the incident by the White House communications director, Steven Cheung, the president of the United States, Donald Trump, was at the presidential residence on Saturday afternoon. “The president was in the; however, no protected person or operations were affected,” the Secret Service later confirmed.
For his part, the director of the FBI, Kash Patel, has indicated through the social network
“The FBI is on scene and supporting the Secret Service in response to shots fired near the White House grounds. We will update the public as soon as we can,” Patel said in his message.
Trump applauds “professional performance”
The president of the United States, Donald Trump, praised this Sunday the professionalism of the US Secret Service during the shooting.
“Thanks to our excellent Secret Service and law enforcement for the quick and professional action tonight of someone who had a violent history and a possible obsession with the most precious building in our country,” the president said in a publication spread through social networks.
In his message, Trump confirmed that the attacker lost his life after “an exchange of gunfire with (the) Secret Service agents” who were on duty near the presidential residence. He also recalled that this incident takes place just a month after the shooting at the White House.
This demonstrates, in the words of the New York magnate, “the importance of all future presidents having the one who will be the most secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, DC“. “The national security of our country demands it!” he declared.