The shooter near the White House had a violent past, the police neutralized him on the spot

Trump describes the White House shooter as a violent man obsessed with the building. In the post, he praises the quick intervention of the Secret Service and the security forces.

US President Donald Trump said on Sunday that the gunman who opened fire on Secret Service agents outside the White House had a “violent past” and likely suffered from some “obsession with this building”. TASR informs about it according to the report of the AFP agency.

  • Donald Trump called the White House shooter violent and obsessed with the building.
  • The shooter came to the checkpoint and started shooting at the policemen.
  • The police returned fire, the attacker was hit and he later died in the hospital.
  • Authorities identified him as an emotionally unstable youth with mental disorders.
  • No police officer or head of state of the United States was injured in the incident.

“Thank you to our great Secret Service and security forces for the swift and professional action they took tonight near the White House against a shooter who had a violent past and was likely obsessed with our nation’s most treasured building,” Trump said in a post on his Truth Social network.

Incident at the White House

On Saturday, shortly after 18:00 local time (24:00 CET), the shooter approached the checkpoint near the White House, “took a gun from his bag and started shooting at the police officers.” It happened at the corner of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest.

The police returned fire, hitting the attacker. The paramedics then took him to the hospital, where he later died. World agencies report that authorities have identified him as an emotionally unstable individual. The CBS station identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best, who had been registered by the Secret Service in the past. According to available information, he also has a documented history of mental disorders.

The investigation continues

One bystander was injured, but a representative of the security forces said that it is currently unclear whether the person was hit by the shooter’s or the police’s bullets.

According to the Secret Service, no policeman was injured in the incident and there was no threat to the head of state. The investigation is still ongoing.

In his post, the head of the White House also recalled that the incident occurred only a month after the shooting at the Hilton Hotel in Washington during a dinner for journalists. Trump and the other participants of the event then escaped unharmed. These were suffered by one member of the secret service.

source