Trump says new deal with Iran will be different from Obama’s

US President Donald Trump said this Sunday (24) that “if” he closes an agreement with Iran, it will be different from the one signed during the administration of former President Barack Obama, stating that “it will be exactly the opposite, but no one has seen it or knows what it will be like.”

“If I make a deal with Iran, it will be a good and proper deal, not like the one Obama made,” he said in a post on the social media site Truth Social, claiming that the deal gave Iran “a clear and open path to nuclear weapons.”

While he said his deal would be very different from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action negotiated during the Obama administration and insisted it would be “exactly the opposite,” Trump said no one knows all the details and the deal has not yet been “even fully negotiated.”

“Our agreement is exactly the opposite, but no one has seen it, nor knows what it is. It hasn’t even been fully negotiated yet. So don’t listen to the losers, who criticize something they are completely unaware of. Unlike those before me who should have resolved this problem many years ago, I don’t make bad deals!”

Nuclear program at the center of the dispute

United States President Donald Trump has repeatedly stated that Iran cannot be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon.

In fact, the White House published on March 2 a text titled “74 Times President Trump Made It Clear that Iran Cannot Have a Nuclear Weapon.” He has since reiterated this many times.

To that end, American negotiators sought to impose severe limits on Iran’s ability to enrich uranium, in addition to handing over its current stockpile of highly enriched uranium, estimated by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) at 408 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% — close to the level needed for nuclear weapons.

Iran has always maintained that it does not seek to develop a nuclear weapon and, as a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), it has the right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes.

Both in negotiations with the United States last year and since the conflict began in February, Tehran has resisted a long-term suspension of enrichment.

Last month, American negotiators proposed a 20-year pause, a source familiar with the discussions said. Iran responded with a proposal for a five-year suspension, which the US rejected, according to an American official.

Iran has also resisted sending its enriched uranium abroad as demanded by the United States, and state-linked Iranian media outlets insist that a possible document to end the war does not include a commitment to hand over stockpiles and postpones nuclear negotiations until after the conflict ends.

These negotiations were ongoing in February when the United States and Israel began military strikes against Iran.

source