The leadership of the North Atlantic Alliance does not hide its satisfaction with the reversal in American defense policy. Ahead of the NAC ministerial meeting, Mark Rutte highlighted Trump’s plan to strengthen Poland’s borders, which comes just a week after reports of a possible cancellation of the entire mission.
The Secretary General of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Mark Rutte, welcomed on Friday the announcement by US President Donald Trump that the United States will deploy 5,000 troops to Poland. Trump’s comments came just days after Washington announced the postponement of the originally planned deployment as part of broader changes to the deployment of US forces in Europe. TASR informs about it according to the report of the AFP agency.
- Donald Trump announced a plan to deploy 5,000 American soldiers to Poland.
- Mark Rutte publicly welcomed this planned deployment of American troops to Poland.
- NATO military commanders are currently preparing all the details of this planned deployment.
- At the same time, Washington plans to withdraw 5,000 American soldiers from the territory of Germany.
Rutte: NATO military commanders are working on all the details
“Of course, I welcome this announcement,” the NATO secretary general told reporters ahead of a meeting of the alliance’s foreign ministers in Sweden. As he added, “NATO military commanders are working on all the details.”
The conclusion of the two-day meeting of the North Atlantic Council (NAC) at the level of foreign ministers will take place on Friday in Helsingborg, Sweden. Slovakia is represented by the head of diplomacy, Juraj Blanár.
On Thursday, the head of the White House did not provide more details about his statement, such as when and from where American soldiers will be sent to Poland. However, his statements apparently related to the deployment of several thousand American soldiers to this European country, the circumstances of which remained unclear for several days, world agencies write.
Mixed signals from the US
Last week, U.S. officials said the deployment of 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland had been canceled, in what was seen as the latest move by the Trump administration to reduce the number of troops stationed on the territory of European NATO allies.
US Vice President JD Vance then said on Tuesday that the troop deployment had been delayed, not cancelled, adding that Trump had not yet made a “final decision” on the matter. But Vance added that Europe must stand up “on its own two feet” as the US president continues his efforts to push European allies to take more responsibility for their defense.
The US Department of Defense announced at the beginning of May that Washington would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany, AFP recalls.