Diving accident in the Maldives: bodies of two Italian divers recovered

Diving accident in the Maldives: bodies of two Italian divers recovered

Two bodies continue to be recovered inside the underwater cave. They will be in the chamber furthest from the entrance, known locally as the “shark cave”, which reaches 60 meters deep.

The bodies of two Italians who were recovered this Tuesday died in a diving accident in the Maldives last week. Only one body had already been recovered, while the remaining four were only.

“They were rescued from the third chamber of the underwater cave [do atol de Vaavu] by specialized divers from Finland, after a two-hour operation”said Mohamed Hossain Shareef, spokesman for the Maldivian government, speaking to .

Finnish divers took the two bodies to a depth of 30 meters and coast guard divers took over the operation from that point to the surface.

They will now be transported to the capital, Malé, for identification.

Two bodies remain to be recovered inside the underwater cave. They will be in the cave chamber furthest from the entrance, known locally as the “shark cave”, which reaches 60 meters deep.

Rescue operations will resume on Wednesday.

The group disappeared while exploring a cave on Vaavu Atoll last Thursday. One of the bodies – that of the diving instructor – Gianluca Benedetti – was recovered on the same day.

The cause of deaths is still unknown. It is hoped that the discovery of the bodies will provide clues as to what happened.

A Maldivian government spokesman told the BBC that the team was authorized to dive to a depth of 50 meters, but had not mentioned the cave in their proposal.

source