Judge missing for more than a month is found dead in RJ

In May last year, he was temporarily removed by the plenary of the National Council of Justice (CNJ) for involvement in a case of domestic violence

Photo: Reproduction/TRF2
Judge Alcides Martins Ribeiro Filho

The Civil Police of Rio de Janeiro located this Tuesday (19) the body of federal judge Alcides Martins Ribeiro Filho, from the Federal Regional Court of the 2nd Region (TRF-2)who had been missing since April 14th.

The magistrate’s corpse was found in the surroundings of the Vista Chinesa viewpoint, in the south of the capital of Rio de Janeiro, by agents from the Whereabouts Discovery Department (DDPA) and the Fire Department. The body showed no signs of violence.

The Capital Homicide Police Station (DHC) carried out the investigation at the scene, and the body was sent to the Legal Medical Institute (IML) “Investigations are underway to clarify the facts”, informed the Civil Police.

Last week, the column by journalist Lauro Jardim, from the newspaper O Globo, reported that Ribeiro Filho had withdrawn R$1,000 and got into a taxi to Vista Chinesa, a viewpoint in the south of Rio, on April 14, last day he was seen.

In May last year, the judge was temporarily removed by the plenary of the National Council of Justice (CNJ) for involvement in a case of domestic violence, resisting arrest, causing bodily harm against police officers and abuse of authority.

According to the CNJ, “the circumstances of the case would indicate explosive and irascible behavior, incompatible with the minimum requirements for the exercise of the judicial function”.

“Society expects and demands that judges maintain a posture consistent with the duties inherent to the responsibility of the position, especially because they judge sensitive issues that directly impact Brazilian citizens and families”said minister Mauro Campbell Marques at the time.

“Trust in the Judiciary is a fundamental principle that must be protected by the CNJ through measures like these,” he added.

In a note, the Regional Court of the 2nd Region says he received information about the location of Alcides Martins Ribeiro Filho’s body with “deep regret”although it emphasizes that the agency did not have “official recognition of the identity” of the victim.

“As soon as the identification is formally completed by the competent authorities, further information will be communicated by this Court,” the court said.

The identity of the body was confirmed through a note by the Civil Police, who reported the transfer of the body to the IML.

source