Santos asks for the cancellation of the game against Coritiba in which Neymar left by mistake

The STJD action understands that there was a violation of rights in the mistaken removal of number 10 from the match to make way for Robinho Jr.

THEO DAOLIO/AGENCY O DIA/AGENCY O DIA/ESTADÃO CONTENT
The confusion happened 20 minutes into the second half, when Santos was already losing 3-0.

O Santos communicated this Wednesday (20) that he filed a lawsuit with the Superior Court of Sports Justice (STJD) asking for the match against Coritiba, held on Sunday (17), to be canceled, as he understood that there was an error of law in the mistaken replacement of Neymar. The match, valid for the 16th round of the Brasileirão, was won by the team from Paraná 3-0, in a game at the Neo Química Arena.

“The Club understands that there was an error of law when the arbitration prevented the athlete Neymar Jr. from remaining on the field, which contradicted the determination of the technical committee itself and disrespected the official protocol for player substitutions”, informed the club.

“What is under discussion is not technical performance or the result of the game, but the defense of the institution and FIFA rules”, completes the note. (See the full note below).

A confusion occurred 20 minutes into the second halfwhen Neymar went to the edge of the pitch to receive a calf massage moments before the Santos team made a substitution. The fourth referee, Bruno Mota Correia (RJ), raised the sign indicating the departure of number 10 and the entry of number 7, Robinho Jr.

Robinho entered the field of play with Neymar outside the four lines. When the star returned to the field, he was informed by the fourth referee that he had been substituted and he was outraged. He argued with referee Paulo Cesar Zanovelli (MG), but was informed that, according to the rule, the change could not be undone.

Santos’ technical committee also complained and showed the official substitution paper to the fourth referee, which indicated the entry of number 7 (Robinho) in place of 31, left-back Escobar. Neymar even showed the role to the broadcast team’s camera and left the field upset.

In the match summary, Zanovelli attributed the initial information to assistant coach César Sampaio that the number 10 would leave the pitch. Also according to the game’s official document, Bruno Correia would have asked for new confirmation before lifting the sign and received it again positive sign, verbal and gestural, from the member of the Santos technical committeewhile the exchange documentation was filled out alongside the match delegate, Guilherme Zangari.

Cesar Sampaio spoke to the press shortly after the match and said that, in his view, there was “hasty” on the part of the arbitration. “Neymar, according to the doctor’s assessment, could return and we could operate with paper. The biggest document is paper, he had the paper in his hand”, he highlighted. “I told him to wait, because I was going to look at Neymar and, when I came back, the substitution had already been made”, he explained.

“At the moment of the substitution, Neymar left the field and I asked the fourth referee Bruno, we even had a good relationship of waiting to see whether or not we could change this substitution, that the role was clear, right? The 7 for the 31 and then I went to see with the doctor whether Neymar could return or not and when I returned he was already lifting the substitution sign”.

Read the official note from Santos

“The Legal Department informs that it filed a lawsuit with the Superior Court of Sports Justice (STJD) to request the annulment of the match played on 17/5, against Coritiba, valid for the 16th round of the Brazilian Championship.

The Club understands that there was an error of law when the arbitration prevented athlete Neymar Jr. from remaining on the field, which contradicted the determination of the technical committee itself and disrespected the official protocol for player substitutions.

What is under discussion is not technical performance or the result of the game, but the defense of the institution and FIFA rules.”

source