The United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, US President Donald Trump said on Thursday.
Trump, in a post on Truth Social, cited his relationship with Poland’s conservative nationalist president, Karol Nawrocki, as the reason behind his decision to send additional troops.
The announcement came two days after US Vice President JD Vance told reporters that the deployment of US troops to Poland had been postponed.
The US had been reviewing its troop presence in Europe and had long been expected to reduce it following Trump’s demands that NATO take a greater role in Europe’s defense.
“Based on the successful election of the current President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to support, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland,” Trump said in the post.
Trump welcomed Nawrocki to the White House in May last year and supported him at a crucial moment before the Polish election, in which Nawrocki defeated the candidate of the Polish prime minister’s pro-European and centrist party, Donald Tusk.
Continues after advertising
He met with Nawrocki again at the White House in September and said at the time that the US could increase its troop presence in Poland and promised to guarantee the country’s defense.