Last week, coach Carlo Ancelotti had already left the player’s possible departure up in the air.
The player Neymar Júnior was called up to be one of the 26 players who will represent Brazil in the World Cup that starts on June 11th. The announcement was made by the Brazilian national team coach, Carlo Ancelotti, late this Monday afternoon (18) during the call-up event that took place at the Museum of Tomorrow, in Rio de Janeiro.
Shortly before the announcement of the names, Neymar added a “Brazil” player to the information in his bio on Instagram next to the name of the Santos FC team. The moment Ancelotti said the striker’s name, the public present at the event celebrated wildly and the coach had to take a break to return to the calls.
In the week before Brazil’s squad for the World Cup, Ancelotti, who had already left Neymar’s possible departure up in the air. According to him, in an interview with Reuters “It’s not such a simple decision.” “I have to carefully evaluate the pros and cons. But that doesn’t put pressure on me, because, as I said, a year ago we evaluated not only Neymar, but all the players”, he said.
To The Guardin, the Italian declared: “Neymar’s call-up depends solely on him. It depends on what the player demonstrates on the field. This is a very clear criterion and does not just apply to Neymar. With most players, you need to assess talent and fitness. With Neymar, we only need to evaluate his physical condition, because his talent is indisputable. It depends on him, not on me.”
Outside the World Cup album, shirt 10 since taking over the national team on May 26, 2025. There were five opportunities to call on the star between World Cup qualifying games and friendlies.
At 34 years old, the attacker lives with recurring physical problems e has not played with the Amarelinha shirt since October 2023. Even though he is the biggest scorer in the history of the national team, with 79 goals, Neymar still divides opinions in the country. Recent research by the Datafolha institute showed that 53% of Brazilians defend their call for the World Cup, while 34% are against e 13% are undecided.