Iran agreed to deliver enriched uranium, says Trump administration

Secretary Marco Rubio, who is in India, states that there has been “significant progress” in negotiations with the Persian country

Iran would have committed to giving up its stockpile of enriched uranium as part of the deal proposed by the United States, two US officials told the newspaper. The sources also said the proposal did not resolve the question of how exactly Iran would give up its arsenal, deferring details to a next round of talks on Iran’s nuclear program.

Initially, Iran resisted the inclusion, at this stage, of any agreement on its stockpile of enriched uranium, demanding that the matter be postponed to the 2nd stage of negotiations. However, according to the NOWUS negotiators said they had made it clear to Iran, through intermediaries, that without an agreement on the stockpile at this early stage, they would withdraw from the talks and resume the military operation.

The US Secretary of State, , told journalists this Sunday (May 24, 2025), during a diplomatic visit to India, which took place “significant progress” in negotiations for an agreement with Iran. He also stated that President Trump may have positive news about the talks “still today”.

Rubio said more details about efforts to reopen the “process” related to other important issues, including the Iranian nuclear program, may be released “in the next few hours”. “Suffice it to say that there has been some progress, significant progress, although not definitive progress”he said, reiterating that Trump will ensure that Iran “will never possess a nuclear weapon.”

On Saturday (May 23), Trump said the US was close to reaching an agreement with Iran to end the war and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. “The final aspects and details of the agreement are being discussed and will be announced soon”declared the North American president.

The news agency Tasnim –which is controlled by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps– said the negotiated understanding was a memorandum. However, some points will still be discussed between the countries before concluding a complete ceasefire agreement.

“We can say that we are very far and (at the same time) very close to an agreement. On the one hand, we have the experience of the American side contradicting itself and changing its views. They have expressed contradictory positions many times. We cannot be completely sure that this approach will not change”said , spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry.

IRAN AND USA AGREEMENT

Trump called for a 20-year suspension of Iran’s nuclear program to reach a ceasefire agreement and end the war. However, it would only accept proposals that covered issues such as uranium enrichment and the fate of Iran’s existing stockpile.

The position represents a relaxation by Washington, which previously refused to accept any solution other than complete surrender and the permanent end of Iran’s nuclear program.