Marcel Van Hattem appeals against suspension of mandate – 05/19/2026 – Panel

The deputy (Novo-RS) filed this Tuesday (19) an appeal against the decision of the Ethics Council that recommended the suspension of his mandate for two months for occupying the Board of Directors of the Chamber.

In the document, sent to the Constitution and Justice Committee, the parliamentarian says that he did not directly occupy the chair of the President of the House and that there was a clear attempt to intimidate the opposition.

Van Hattem said that the process contains serious constitutional defects, in addition to violating the contradictory and broad defense. Therefore, he requests the annulment of the process.

for two months of the mandate of three opposition deputies. In addition to the Novo deputy, Zé Trovão (PL-SC) and Marcos Pollon (PL-MS) were also targets.

At the time, they were protesting against the former president’s house arrest. The obstruction

They can still appeal to the CCJ, and the final decision will be made by the plenary. In the appeal, Van Hattem cited other cases of occupation of the plenary that were not punished. He recalls an episode that occurred during the arrest of then former president Lula.

“Conducts that were previously tolerated, politically justified or even sanctioned suddenly became grounds for the suspension of the exercise of parliamentary mandate,” he said.

The defense still speaks of a “peaceful and political protest” and during the obstruction carried out in the Chamber plenary.

“They want to punish the opposition and silence those who defend principles and values. What exists is political persecution disguised as a disciplinary process,” he stated.


LINK PRESENT: Did you like this text? Subscribers can access seven free accesses from any link per day. Just click the blue F below.

source