Serbian police discovered a man’s body stuffed in a barrel on Thursday. The discovery was made after a shooting linked to the underworld, which took place in one of the restaurants in Belgrade. This case led to the arrest of the Belgrade police chief, the prosecutor’s office said. TASR informs about it according to the report of the AFP agency.
- Serbian police discovered the body of a man stuffed in a barrel near Belgrade.
- Aleksandar Nešovič disappeared after being invited to a restaurant by the head of the Belgrade police.
- Police chief Veselin Milič allegedly helped the perpetrators escape after the murder.
- After the arrest, Milič was dismissed from his position and taken into custody for thirty days.
A police chief involved in a murder case
The Serbian police and army were searching for Aleksandar Nešovic, known by the nickname “Baja”. He disappeared last week after Belgrade police chief Veselin Milič allegedly invited him to a restaurant to resolve differences with two other men. However, the meeting ended tragically. According to the prosecutor’s office, Nešovič was one of a pair of men “murdered in an insidious manner.” Local media reported that the incident was preceded by an argument.
Both the victim and the shooter were supposed to be well-known figures of the Belgrade underworld. Milič and three of his police bodyguards helped the perpetrators after the murder, the prosecutor’s office said earlier. The crime itself should have occurred on the night of May 12 to 13, clarifies AFP. In connection with the “particularly serious murder and other criminal acts”, the investigation of dozens of people, including the Belgrade police chief Milič, was launched.
Vučič: This was done by monsters
The prosecutor’s office in Belgrade announced on Thursday that “a body believed to belong to the wanted AN was found in a barrel.” He was buried in the village of Indjija, approximately 40 kilometers northwest of Belgrade. The body will be taken for an autopsy and DNA analysis, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
“We can confirm to 99.9 percent based on the clothing that it is (Aleksandar) Nešovic,” Serbian President Aleksandar Vučič told RTS state television on Thursday. At the same time, he promised that the authorities will deal with corrupt police officers. “All those who participated in the protection of criminals will have to leave their positions,” he added.
“This is of course done by monsters. These are not people, but monsters,” Vucic was quoted as saying by station B92. Milič was dismissed from his post after his arrest on May 15. After questioning, he was taken into custody for 30 days, adds AFP.