The decision was made by the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation, which also ordered the release of the former deputy
The defense of former deputy Carla Zambelli said on social media that she is a “political persecution” and from Zambelli to Brazil released this Friday (22). “Extradition of Carla Zambelli denied to Brazil. That’s it, folks. You who are always here asking me and rooting for Carla Zambelli, we won. Carla Zambelli is free, and she is politically persecuted.” said lawyer Fábio Pagnozzi.
The decision was made by Supreme Court of Cassation of Italy which also ordered the release of the former deputy. Or Court overturned the previous decision of the Court of Appeal who gave approval for the former parliamentarian to return to Brazil. The information was reported by the portal UOL and confirmed by Young Pan.
Now, the process against the former deputy goes to Italian Ministry of Justice.
Since July 2025, Carla Zambelli is preventively detained at the Rebibbia Penitentiaryin Rome, Italy. In the same year, the former deputy was sentenced by the Federal Supreme Court (STF) in two cases.
Moraes demanded action on the case
Minister Alexandre de Moraes, of the Federal Supreme Court (STF), ordered the Ministry of Justice and Public Security and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Itamaraty) to adopt the extradition of former federal deputy Carla Zambelli. The decision, published on Wednesday (20), comes after the Court of Rome, Italy, approved the request for the Brazilian woman to be handed over to the Brazilian authorities.
“I order the issuance of a letter to the Ministry of Justice and Public Security (General Coordination of Extradition and Transfer of Sentenced Persons) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, so that they can adopt the necessary measures to carry out the extradition”, says the decision.
Zambelli foi sentenced by the STF to 10 years in prison for the invasion of the electronic system of the National Justice Council (CNJ), which occurred in 2023. According to investigations, she was the intellectual author of the invasion to issuance of a false arrest warrant against Alexandre de Moraes. The hacking was carried out by Walter Delgattiwho was also convicted and confirmed having carried out the work at the behest of the parliamentarian.
After the conviction, the former deputy left Brazil and went to Italy. After the escape, the STF contacted Interpol and formalized the extradition request based on the treaty in force between the two countries. Zambelli was arrested in Rome on July 29 last year by the Interpol National Central Office.