Former president arrived at the Solar de Brasília condominium this Friday (27th March), at XXhYY, after 14 days in hospital; Moraes authorized benefit with a defined period
The former president (PL), 71 years old, arrived at his home in the Solar de Brasília condominium, in Jardim Botânico (DF), this Friday (27th March 2026), at 10:20 am, to serve house arrest, which comes into effect from this Friday (27th March 2026). The benefit was provided by Minister Alexandre de Moraes, of the STF (Supreme Federal Court), on a temporary basis, for 90 days.
“After this period, the presence of the necessary requirements for maintaining humanitarian house arrest will be re-analyzed, including medical expertise if necessary.“, said Moraes on Tuesday (24th March).
The former Chief Executive had been hospitalized for 14 days at the DF Star hospital, in Brasília, around 20 km from his home. He was diagnosed with , considered serious by his doctors. This is the third time he has had pneumonia and, according to doctors, the most severe.
Bolsonaro in the early hours of March 13, in Papudinha, the 19th Battalion of the Military Police of the Federal District, where he was serving a sentence of 27 years and 3 months in prison.
HOUSE ARREST
When granting house arrest to Jair Bolsonaro, Minister Alexandre de Moraes considered the health situation of the former head of the Executive, who has presented successive medical complications in recent months, and that of the Attorney General’s Office.
The decision, however, is temporary for 90 days starting this Friday (27th March), when Bolsonaro was discharged.
Moraes said that, according to medical literature, the total recovery time in the 2 lungs of an elderly person (the former president is 71 years old) can last from 45 to 90 days. “After this period, the presence of the necessary requirements for maintaining humanitarian house arrest will be re-analyzed, including medical expertise if necessary”said the minister. Read (PDF – 790 kB).
Moraes also determined that:
- electronic ankle bracelet – you will have to use the monitoring device again;
- residents of the house – Michelle, Laura Bolsonaro and Letícia Marianna Firmo da Silva (Bolsonaro’s stepdaughter) do not need authorization because they live in the same house;
- children’s visits – Flávio, Carlos and Jair Renan Bolsonaro will be able to visit their father “under the same legal conditions as the prison establishment”that is, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, from 8 am to 11 am, from 11 am to 1 pm and from 2 pm to 4 pm;
- other visits – all those who are not direct family members, lawyers and doctors are suspended for 90 days;
- service – doctors will not need to ask for authorization for visits;
- Bolsonaro’s health – if necessary, the former president may be hospitalized without the need for a prior court decision if there is medical advice;
- device use – Bolsonaro will not be able to use a cell phone, telephone or any other means of external communication “directly or through third parties”;
- visitors magazine – cell phones of anyone visiting the former president must be kept by police officers;
- images and social networks – Bolsonaro will not be able to use social media or have photos and videos published.
HEALTH HISTORY
Since during the 2018 electoral campaign, in Juiz de Fora (MG), Bolsonaro has undergone 14 surgeries. Of the total, 10 are directly related to sequelae caused by the abdominal injury and complications arising from subsequent procedures.
The former president suffers from refractory, or chronic, hiccups, which can cause reflux with substances entering the respiratory tract, as happened in the early hours of March 13th. The 3 most recent surgeries were performed on December 25th, 27th and 29th, 2025.
At Christmas, a procedure called bilateral inguinal herniorrhaphy was performed, indicated to correct two hernias in the groin region. –one on the right side and one on the left.
The 2nd and 3rd surgeries were performed to block the phrenic nerve, the right and left respectively, with the aim of reducing hiccups episodes.